Tuesday, November 04, 2008

The finish line

The end is here. The candidates have made their pitches, and now it's time for us to make the choice.

I could go on and on with even more cliches, but I'll stop here. There's really nothing else to say but get your asses out there and vote.

Rather than make any more pitches of my own, I'll leave you with a song. Four years ago, prior to the 2004 presidential election, I wrote an entry about Eminem, who wrote and recorded a strongly political song called "Mosh." The video itself was powerful as well, and a strong indictment of the Bush Administration. And it was designed to get young people out to the polling place.

Young people are vital to the political process. When I turned 18, I was chomping at the bit to cast my vote. My first time was in a gubernatorial primary race. Not a high-profile vote, but it felt good to get out there and take part in the process. I have voted in almost every election since.

For the Democrats, particularly Barack Obama, to win, they have to rely on a strong yet unreliable base - young people. Republicans, on the other hand, tend to draw much older people, who are much more reliable as far as hitting the polls. This was one of the biggest differences between a President Kerry and a President Bush in 2004. Republicans were more successful at getting their supporters to the precincts.

So, if you're desperate to get the Democrats to clean house and get this country back on track, get those 20-somethings off their asses, out of their McJobs and into the polling place. Their importance cannnot be more overstated.

And again, back by popular demand, is Eminem's call to arms, and it rings true as much today as it did four years ago. Here is "Mosh:"

0 comments:


  © Blogger template Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP