Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Air America's D.C. station adds Randi Rhodes

Air America Media and Randi Rhodes have seemingly mended fences, as their new Washington, D.C. outlet WZAA 1050 AM has struck a multi-year deal with her new syndicator, Premiere Radio Networks (a subsidiary of Clear Channel Communications) to air her show live (3-6P ET). They will begin airing it today (June 23), and stream online via the station's website.

From the presser:

“I’m thrilled to have Randi Rhodes on the Air America Washington team,” said Bill Hess, Air America Media’s senior vice president of programming. “It’s about time we were reunited. Randi’s ability to cover a variety of issues each day in an entertaining, aggressive style makes her the perfect fit for the ride home in Washington, D.C., where she’s now based.”

WZAA 1050 AM is the latest in a series of major-market radio stations to add “Randi Rhodes.” The program can be heard in such markets as Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Denver and Portland. Airing weekdays from 3-6pm ET, Rhodes enlightens and entertains listeners with her trademark candid, incisive opinions, as well as her biting sense of humor, as she discusses everything from news and current events, to politics and hot topics. Please visit
http://www.therandirhodesshow.com/ for more information.

To make room, the local “Live in Washington w/ Jack Rice” (which had been airing on Air America's national feed via weeknight delay) moves to the 1-3P slot, and will continue to be the region’s only live locally-focused talk show in that daypart. The odd man out in D.C. appears to be Ron Kuby.

Incidentally, frequent fill-in Nicole Sandler is now listed as the late night host. Whether this is a permanent move is unknown.

8 comments:

Aaron B. Pryor said...

Nice to know they read your comments, eh, LTR?

Lu Cifer, @Lu666Cifer said...

Well in all fairness, last night I posted I think (sorry heat is frying my brain, goddamn I hate summer in FL!) the same article as a comment to the previous post.
And didja'all see NEIL ROGERS RETIRED!!! OMFG I am in shock. Sad. Neil was THE BEST. I'll go on record saying that, gladly! Just beyond tragic how Neil never got syndicated. BBGI had it out for him it seems from the get go. And don't say someone from South FL can't get syndicated...cuz RANDI DID!!!

Lu Cifer, @Lu666Cifer said...

I posted 2 articles on Neil's retirement (hopefully it's NOT, I hope he's got SOME BETTER DEAL in the works!) @ http://Lu666Cifer.blogspot.com fo anybody who cares...NEIL GOD!

ltr said...

Brady -

Believe it or not, I'm not all that surprised. Perhaps AAR felt they needed a little more firepower. Or Premiere made them an offer they couldn't refuse.
I'm sure they really wanted a D.C. affiliate for Rhodes.

Radio often makes for strange bedfellows. I've seen weirder things happen. And come to think of it, most of AAR's current upper management weren't around when the whole Rhodes thing happened.

And yes, Lucifer, I did hear about Neil Rogers. I don't live in a damn cave or anything. Just don't typically have time to hang around the internet waiting for things to happen that I can write about immediately. If I made a ton of money doing this blog, I'd have stuff up almost instantaneously. But this is reality, and I don't have that luxury.

Lu Cifer, @Lu666Cifer said...

Yeah, I too pondered that Randi couldn't go without a DC station, AND broadcast from there! Otherwise, hell, she LOVES South FL, so why not stay in West Palm!
And I wasn't busting on you LTR, you know I love you! I'm just, I'm just almost literally speechless. No one can really truly relate to how much Neil Rogers MEANS to you unless you grew up and/or lived in South Florida. He was honestly one of the very few unique things to that goddamn hellhole area, along with Randi. I still can't believe he never got syndicated. Imagine if Howard never was heard outside of NYC!
And for the record, I WISH I lived in a cave! The heat index here is just beyond fucking believe. Thank GODS there's NO global warming!!!
Also, you SHOULD make a ton of money off this blog. It's really one of the best. Hell, if we all could, we wouldn't have fucking day jobs!!!

Lu Cifer, @Lu666Cifer said...

See what I mean about the heat! I put "believe" instead of "belief" and I'm a grammar militant!
Oh, has anybody seen all the ASININE comments on the Sun Sentinel's page on Neil!? These scumbags, calling Neil a "pedophile". Ya know, here we go AGAIN. Just because Neil is OH MY GOD...GAY...that MUST mean he RAPES CHILDREN. What is WRONG with people?! Feel free y'all to go to
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/south-florida-sun-sentinel/TSL23JJ3M3TGP7825?p=6012&co=1
and REPORT these LIARS who SLANDER Neil. I'm sorry, I'm just so pissed about this. GodDAMN Joe Bell and Joyce for essentially forcing Neil off the air, not to mention firing Jorge.

fellixe said...

Thanks for putting this up. I'm also excited to hear that Randi is going to have a place in D.C.. It's as it should be and I'm sure there will be an effect when the decision makers she is in the neighborhood of can now get her on the ol' radio machine right where they are(or their staffers may, anyway). I'll be adding this to our affiliate list over at rhodesscholars.proboards.com where this has already been commented on. And once again it looks like all of us are a step ahead of Randi's site on this. Hopefully the new board will be up soon and return to being the resource old Randi boards have been for this kind of information.

Lu Cifer, @Lu666Cifer said...

Randi is on a roll! First she gets a Washington D.C station, then Green 960 announces her show is to air live, and now, returning to Phoenix!
On 1480 KPHX no less!
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bastard/2009/06/randi_rhodes_returns_to_phoeni.php


  © Blogger template Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP